Un Mes En America Central

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Sunday Snoozer

It´s Sunday again, and since I wasn´t traveling this weekend, I decided to check out the church in Santa Rosa. It´s a Catholic church, and the only one in town. So how was it? Well, let´s just say I´m still a little drowsy, and the service was 9 hours ago. Yea, it was pretty dull. Not to be critical or anything (as if I haven´t been thus far), but things were certainly dead. dead...dull....sleepy....boring....all words I would use to describe the service.
So, it got me thinking. I have talked with several people in and around the town of Santa Rosa about the church scene, and they have all had a similar response. Church? Yea, we used to go, but not much anymore. I mean I believe in God and all, but that´s about it. In fact, out of the 2000 or so people that live in and around Santa Rosa, there were about 20 or 30 at the service this AM (about 1 percent). AND quite honestly, if I lived in SR, I don´t think I would be one of the 1% either. THAT, I find to be sad (not the ME part). I mean I´m certainly not one to be stuck on church dogma (or the dogma of going to church for the sake of going to church), but I find it sad that the spiritual center for the area has died seemingly long ago. God, along with Elvis, has apparently left the building.
The GOOD news is that He seems to be taking up residence in La Fortuna (God, that is.....not sure where Elvis is living right now.......and yes, he IS still living). So perhaps it really isn´t any different from any other place in the world.....certainly no different than parts of the US. Maybe I have simply grown a bit attached to Santa Rosa. Maybe I´m feeling a bit sensative toward MY town. On the other hand, maybe I'm still a bit tired from the morning service.

That´s it from Tamarindo (no internet cafe in SR). I hope you all enjoyed an excellent Sunday, wherever you may be.

1 Comments:

Blogger bansheewigs said...

funny. i just yawned reading this blog. -steph g

5/17/2006 10:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home